0 January 19, 2017 1:31 PM
Prepare to lose hours of sleep, because AQUAPLUS’ visual novel/SRPG epics Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth will be arriving to the Americas and Europe in 2017! We’ll be honest, these games WILL make you lose track of time, but you won’t care because there are fantastical beasts to fight, powerful magic to unleash, political machinations to partake in, intriguing characters to meet, and magical lands to explore. Heroes never rest! Especially since the fate of the world depends on you… so no pressure. Mask of Deception will be available for PS4 and PS Vita this Spring, while Mask of Truth will be coming out later in the year.
Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar and hostile wilderness. However, he’s rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. They eventually team up, and Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
The games will be released in the Americas on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in both physical and digital formats; the European PS4 version will have a physical release, but the PS Vita version will be digital-only. Mask of Deception will release in the spring, and the game’s direct sequel, Mask of Truth will release later in the year with English text and the original Japanese audio. For both games, the PS4 version will be $49.99, and the PS Vita version will be $39.99.