As part of today’s Nintendo Direct showcase, Square Enix revealed that the iconic but divisive title Chrono Cross is coming to Nintendo Switch on April 7, 2022.
The Switch version is a remaster of the 1999 classic, and it looks like the developers have retouched the visuals of the once-rumoured remake but also a collaboration between Another Eden.
If there wasn’t enough proof that the Switch is a JRPG machine, the reveal of Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition should solidify that status. I’m curious to see how Square is implementing the text-based story Radical Dreamers into this remaster – a game that was a Satellaview exclusive years ago.
I know my face was one of unfathomable excitement — any Chrono news is usually a sign that there is still some life left in the series, even if it means another remaster. I’m not complaining here, I just want it to be April 7 so I can get myself a copy!
Here are some of the features of this remaster:
- D models converted to HD*
- Brand new artwork and character redesign by Nobuteru Yuuki*
- Refined background music by Yasunori Mitsuda
- Switch enemy encounters on or off
- Background filter feature*
- Battle enhancement features
- Auto-battle function
- French, Italian, German and Spanish localization now added
- Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font*
- The inclusion of Radical Dreamers, never before released in the West.
- Players can choose between playing with original or updated graphics*
- *The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition launches this April.